Wyclef To Contest Haiti President Race Ban

click image to enlarge
August 22, 2010 | 8:50pm EST

Wyclef Jean refuses to give up his dream of becoming Haiti’s next leader – he’s planning to appeal a decision that bars him from entering the presidential race.
On Friday Haitian electoral officials ruled Wyclef is ineligible to put his name forward as a candidate – because he doesn’t reside there, but the singer/songwriter plans to fight for the right to stand.

He’s hoping to contest the ruling, arguing that his role as a roving ambassador for the Caribbean state exempts him from the residency rule.

In a post on his Twitter.com page, he writes, “Our lawyers are appealing the decision… We have met all the requirements set by the laws. And the law must be respected.”

The former Fugees star went into hiding last week after receiving death threats following his decision to campaign to become his native Haiti’s next President, replacing friend Rene Preval.

On Thursday night’s Larry King Live TV show, the singer/songwriter told the newsman he would concentrate on his charity efforts to improve Haiti following January’s earthquake, which left the nation devastated, if he is turned down as a presidential candidate.

He said, “If I’m turned down… what we will do is, we have the movement for the youth, which is called Fas a Fas and the political party, which is called Vive a Sum, living together. We will continue to fight in the sense of how can we work with the new government, the administration… to give kids (a good education), which is one of the number one things in the constitution, the Haitian constitution, (that) says all kids should have privilege to a free education. And that’s something that we’re going to push on, whether I make it or not.”

  Share/Bookmark