Winehouse Death Was ‘misadventure’

click image to enlarge
October 26, 2011 | 9:00am EST

Amy Winehouse died as an ‘unintended consequence’ of drinking too much alcohol, a coroner ruled on Wednesday.
The Back to Black hitmaker had downed so much booze in the hours before her death she was almost five times over the legal limit for drink-driving, an inquest heard.

She was found dead in bed at her London home on the afternoon of Saturday 23 July after her personal security guard became concerned and checked on her.

A cop who attended the scene found three empty vodka bottles in Winehouse’s bedroom, and toxicology tests later showed the singer’s blood-alcohol reading was way above the level at which a fatal collapse of the respiratory system can occur. There was no trace of any illegal substance in her body.

Winehouse’s parents, Mitch and Janis, were at the London hearing as pathologist Suhail Baithun revealed blood samples showed the singer was 4.5 times the legal drink-drive limit in the U.K.

Winehouse’s doctor, Christina Romete, confirmed the star had started drinking again in the days before her death after a period of sobriety.

Coroner Suzanne Greenaway announced a verdict of death by misadventure.